TRASH AND RECYCLING INFORMATION
Effective January 1st, 2024, County Hauling, a Noble Environmental company, took over residential trash and recycling collection in the Borough of Jefferson Hills. New residents do not need to call our hauler to set up garbage service. As soon as your Occupancy Permit has been returned to us, we send the appropriate information to both the garbage and sewage company to start your billing.
At the regular meeting of Borough Council on February 12, 2024, Council voted against allowing garbage and recycling opt-outs for all residents and businesses. The Borough of Jefferson Hills employs contracted collection as its exclusive method of refuse disposal, which is the preferred method due to its efficiency, minimal environmental footprint, and deterrence of illegal dumping. Following a comprehensive examination, Borough Council determined that it is not in a position to permit residents to opt out of their current garbage and recycling obligations.
Garbage User Fee
The garbage user fee is $86.45 per quarter ($345.80 annually). Legal Tax Service is now responsible for the collection of both trash and sewage fees on behalf of the Borough. You can pay online, by mail, or in person at 714 Lebanon Road, West Mifflin, PA 15122. Trash and sewage fees must be paid separately no matter the method of payment.
Senior citizens may be eligible for a discount on the garbage user fee. If you meet the below requirements, complete the form
and submit it to the Borough of Jefferson Hills along with supporting documents to receive a discount on your garbage and sewage bills.
- Proof of Residency for the preceding year (driver’s License, Utility Bill, etc.)
- Must provide a copy of the preceding year’s filed Federal Income Tax
- In a household with one (1) individual, the individual's income must fall below one hundred thirty-six percent (136%) of the 2023 United states Department of Health
and Human Services individual Poverty Guidelines, currently set at $14,580 ($19,828.80); or
- In a household with more than one (1) individual, the household income must fall below one hundred forty-seven percent (147%) of the 2023 United states Department of Health and Human Services individual Poverty Guideline for two (2) persons in a family/household, currently set at $19,720 ($28,988.40).
Any resident who does not annually furnish the required information to the Borough will automatically be billed at the standard non-discount rates.
Regular Curbside Collection
Trash and recycling must be out the night before your collection day, or prior to 6 a.m. on the day of collection. To find your collection day, click here
Guidelines for Collection
The following guidelines apply to all residential trash and recycling collection in the Borough
- Recycling will begin on the week of January 8th and will be collected every other week moving forward for all residences.
- All trash and recycling containers, as well as bulk items, must be within five feet of the curb (or five feet from the edge of a traveled road) and placed so as not to interfere with the collection of other items, block the right of way or obstruct traffic. Items not visible or otherwise obstructed from view will not be collected.
- All trash MUST be bagged before being placed in the trash can. Loose trash is a potential health hazard for our employees, is more difficult to collect and is a major factor in municipal litter.
- Please do not bag your recycling, it should be placed in the container loose. If you are placing loose cardboard out for recycling, please flatten all boxes and stack them neatly next to your recycling can. There will be no limit on the amount of recycling collected each week.
- There will be a limit of one (1) bulk item per week for each household.
- Leaf and yard waste will be collected curbside on the same day as your regular pick up for five weeks in the spring and fall. These items will also be available to drop off at the Public Works Garage on another four occasions in the summer. Please refer to the 2024 Pickup Calendar for these dates.
We understand that this is a significant change for our community. Should any resident encounter service-related issues with the new provider, please do not hesitate to reach out to the Borough at 412-655-7735. Report missed pickups to County Hauling at 724-929-7694, or online
. Click on “Missed Pickups”.
Recycling Collection Information
Glass is back! Clear, brown, blue, and green glass food and beverage containers or jars will be accepted in your recycling containers.
Types 3-7 Plastics are no longer recyclable. There is no market for this material, so if it ends up in the recycling, it will be trucked to the recycling plant, then sorted and trucked to the landfill. The best way to reduce the carbon footprint of each item is to follow these guidelines closely and be sure to reach out to our Customer Service if you have any questions!
The two types of plastic that are still recyclable are Types 1 & 2, which are among the most common. Examples of Type 1 include soda, water, salad dressing and cooking oil bottles(either bottles you drink from, or that hold consumables). Some examples of Type 2 include milk and juice jugs, shampoo, conditioner or bodywash bottles and laundry detergents containers. Neither of these lists are comprehensive, so be sure to check each container for the recycling logo and the codes PET or PETE for Type 1 and PEHD or HDPE for Type 2. If the container has any of these codes, it is recyclable. If it does not, then it is not recyclable. County Hauling Curbside E-Waste and HHW Collection Service
County Hauling offers a complimentary Curbside Electronics and HHW Recycling Collection service for challenging-to-recycle items, such as electronic devices and household hazardous waste. View the image below for a list of accepted and restricted items.
to schedule an appointment for this service. Scroll down, find "Jefferson Hills Borough" and click "Check Availability." Upon completing online registration, residents will receive a confirmation email for their scheduled collection date. A collection package, including a bag, zip tie, resident instructions, and a list of accepted items, will be sent at least 7 days before the collection date to those with household hazardous waste. Residents with only electronic waste won't receive a bag or zip tie.
On the scheduled collection day, residents should place electronic devices or bagged household hazardous waste near the curb for visibility from the road. Collection will take place between 7:00 a.m and 5:00 p.m. Items should be placed prior to 7:00 a.m. All chemicals must be labeled and securely sealed, and containers larger than 5 gallons won't be accepted. For larger containers, residents should contact customer service to find the best solution.
County Hauling Special Backyard Service Fee
County Hauling can furnish backyard collection services for regular household refuse and recycling. Bulk items must be picked up at the curb. Residents may request this service by contacting County Hauling at 724-929- 7694. The monthly fee for this service is $40.00 for garbage, $35.00 for recycling, or $75.00 for both.